Housewarming Gift Ideas
Moving into a new home is an exciting milestone, whether you’re buying your very first flat or apartment, or moving into your dream house. It signifies a fresh beginning where new memories are made in a place you can call your own.
A housewarming gift is the perfect way to mark the occasion, so if you’re looking for ideas for your friends, family or neighbour who’s just moved next door, our list of new home gifts ideas has you covered.
Why should you give a housewarming gift?
You don’t have to buy a gift to welcome someone into their new home but as with all significant occasions in life, buying a gift is a thoughtful gesture and one that is usually warmly received.
If the new homeowners are celebrating by inviting you round to see their home, you might consider bringing a gift along to say congratulations and to thank them for hosting.
What are traditional gifts for moving house?
Traditionally, when people moved house or purchased their first home, practical gifts, like appliances and crockery, were typically given to help the homeowner settle in.
Other traditional gifts include:
- Food items, like bread, sugar and honey. These were given to represent a wholesome home, with the saying, “so that your house may never know hunger,” and, “so your cupboards will always be full”
- Accessories, like candles and brooms, that symbolise light and cleanliness, which are great for generating new energy in a new home.
- Lucky tokens, like meaningful coins that represent fortune and luck for your new journey as homeowners.
New home gift ideas
Nowadays, there aren’t wrong or right gifts to give to new homeowners, but you might consider getting a gift that represents this big step in your loved-one’s life. Here, we’ve collated a list of ideas to help you find the perfect present.
- Home décor accessories – Gifts that can be on display or used as part of everyday life are great for friends and family to enjoy. Items like photo frames or candles are meaningful gifts that can also serve as a reminder to mark a special occasion.
- Functional homeware – Items like doormats and mugs or vases are functional alternatives that serve as multi-purpose gifts. Not only are you giving a lovely new home present, but one that is helpful to have around the house. Nothing says ‘welcome home’ than a stylish doormat to welcome guests and friends.
- Personalised new home gifts – A special event calls for a special gift and one that can be kept for years to come. Keepsakes that are personalised with the date or year the homeowners moved into their new home, like our collection of coin jewellery and accessories are significant gifts that are suited to every personal taste and style. Take a look at our guide to personalised gifts for more ideas.
- Practical accessories – Perhaps you’re searching for the perfect new home gift for a friend or loved one who prefers a more practical present. With this in mind, items like a toolset or cleaning supplies could be just what they were hoping for. Similarly, if you’re trying to find the balance between practical and meaningful, a gift like a new home keyring could tick all the boxes as it can be used to hold the keys to their new home, whilst representing a significant moment in their life.
- Unique and alternative new home gifts – The gifts you buy don’t always have to reflect the occasion and you can always choose something that you know your friends and family will love, regardless of the event. Gifts, like stylish hip flasks, are great options if you’re looking for an alternative to homeware and can still be used to enjoy a toast for the new home.
How to celebrate a new home
Moving house, whether buying your first or moving into your next home, is a big event that calls for celebration. So how do you mark this occasion and do you really need to commemorate the event? To support gifting a housewarming present, we explore how to celebrate moving into a new home, whether your friends and family are moving or you’ve recently completed on a property yourself.
- Throw a housewarming party – There’s no better way to celebrate a new home than with a party to show off your new place to your friends and family. Why not go all out with a big party filled with music and dancing to celebrate in style. Alternatively, an intimate evening, hosting with a dinner party is a wonderful way to have your closest loved ones sharing a night in your new home together.
- Celebrate with a move night – Get cosy in your new home and celebrate with a movie and your favourite dinner, perhaps even a takeaway so you don’t have to cook. After all the hard work of packing and unloading boxes, a quiet night on the sofa is a relaxing way to enjoy the space around you. Invite your closest friends or family members round to join you for a movie night to remember.
- Host an open house – If you want the fun of a party whilst keeping it low-key, why not host an open house and invite everyone round for a few hours to celebrate. It’s a great opportunity to meet the neighbours too, so pop the bubbly and send out the invites for a celebratory evening.
Whether you celebrate with a big party or are content with a cosy night in, commemorating your moving day is a huge milestone and one that brings about an enormous sense of achievement. That’s why, no matter the housewarming gift you choose, remember that it’s the thought and effort behind it all that truly matters.
A housewarming gift isn’t just about the present you buy, but the love and friendship you extend to your loved-ones as they embark on an exciting journey in their new home.
If you’re feeling inspired to find the perfect new home gift, be sure to view our collection of unique coin gifts, perfect for any occasion.